Pacific Passion
Today at office we started with discussing about our childhood days. It was
a refreshment from the routine work. The topic was invoked by a forwarded
email from the friends circle.  Even I did have similar experiences, so thought
 why not put them in a blog…

There was a time when amma used to wake me up in the morning for studies,
the days I dozed off with my books open in front of me… The punishments for
talking during the assembly, and dirty shoes.  The intervals that were
meant for playing and running across the corridors chasing one another.
The lunches under the shades of the trees. At the bell at 3:45 we rushed
home. When friends in my neighborhood gathered together at 5 Pm to play
hide and seek, house-house or express. Exams had always been a nightmare.
The one day bating, the last minute discussions and revisions… followed by
dedicated prayers to God to help me score good marks or for a rain holiday
on a sunny day in case of bad preparation. When I recollect the prayers I
cannot just stop laughing at my own innocence.

There was a time when we had 2 months summer vacation to enjoy.. Had
atleast one month preparation to travel to my grandmas place… When my
brother and me fought for the smallest reason as a window seat. When
bisleris (packaged drinking water) were not sold in the trains we used to
be worried if my dad would be able to catch the train on time when he gets
down at the stations to fill water. We had never ending stories to share at
home at dinner. Only festivals and birthdays bought new dresses.  When
doordarshan was the only TV channel, jungle book, vikram baital and
chitrahaar were so entertaining.   My grandma’s stories were the cats and
dogs could speak were so fulfilling. The power cuts during summer was the
best time when everyone came out of their homes, the ladies got into
gossips, the children ran around here and there.

When the rains were meant for getting drenched and paper boats.  The
evenings were for playing and fun.  We heart fully smiled at the presence
of friend. The Sunday schools where we plucked mangoes and tamarinds from
the churchyard gardens. The fun filled activities during the advent. We
were so eager to help my mother out in the baking and making of sweets and
cakes before Christmas I remember some of  my friends as well who where
also equally excited to help... finally all of us been chased out from the
kitchen to sit with our books open and prepare for the half yearly exams.

When I look back I really yearn for those days . Not that everything is
gone, but definitely certain things are missing. When telephones where not
so common, we did know where to meet and when and now we make plans but
seldom turn back and the reasons are the hectic schedules. Did advancement
in technology and communication really improve human relations? We did not
require formal invitation to meet a friend. Off course I do accept on the
other side, it did make world a much smaller place to live. But when we
were using our hearts more than our brains for thinking and deciding life
was much happier. From the past few years I never been able to enjoy the
advent celebrations nor attend the stations of the cross on Fridays for
lent. Thank God if I get a Sunday off out of my so called busy schedule to
attend the mass. I need approvals to celebrate a festival. I never knew my
life would change so drastically in a few years. Grandma's stories are no
more fulfilling for the fact we know cats and dogs don't talk. We have less things to share at home. 
We were crying and laughing more often and more openly.
 I sometimes wonder how funny it is, I
do not have update of many things happening around me but know what a
friend in US had for her breakfast. All thanks to the social networking
sites that help us stay connected.  Thank God atleast they are there. No
more can we plan for a long vacation. Nothing to get astonished if a
foreign trip happens over a weekend.  There was a time when journeys were
also equally important and not just the destinations. The innocent letters
with lot of grammatical errors from the little children whom I taught did bring overwhelming joy than any appreciations or spot awards.
Sharing worries and happiness did not mean vulnerable to the listeners.
While I draw my salary I feel happy for the money I earn.  It did bring a
lots of things. But when I look back this is what I have lost.
1 Response
  1. yeah...it's true....
    but life is all about losing something...in order to gain something.......
    bt...we'll never lose anything unless we'll think so... :)


Post a Comment

Translate

Total Pageviews

Pacific Passions. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Digital Tech News - Digital Technology & Consumer Electronics

BBC News - Technology

World Wide Words newsletter

Techbargains.com

Lifehacker